Are you feeling like a zero when it comes to SMS marketing? Don't worry, you're not alone.
According to recent statistics, only 29% of businesses use SMS marketing to reach their customers, despite the fact that SMS messages have a 98% open rate. That means there's a huge opportunity for businesses to become heroes with successful SMS Campaigns
But don't worry, you don't need to be a genius to be an SMS guru. With a little bit of know-how and a sense of humor, you can go from zero to SMS hero in no time.
In this post, we'll cover a beginner's guide for SMS with some pro tips to help you become a marketing superhero. So, put on your cape, and let's get started!
1. TCPA compliant for SMS Marketing
You might wonder what TCPA is. Let me wrap all in this story for you.
"You - a man trying to sell aroma oil and candles for ladies - those who are ready to pay $60 (even more) for a candle. Karen - who just fills in your checkout form to check the shipping fee and then dip (aka. abandoned cart). So now you send her a message to tell her to checkout now with a discount code.
So if things go well, Karen rushes to checkout with your discount. Easier huh? But (yeah things often don’t flow the way we want) if Karen is not in the mood right now and feels like such an invasion of her privacy. She sues you - the owner of the aroma store, with proof of TCPA Violations and you might pay up to $1500 per violation. Ouch!"
TCPA compliance requires businesses to obtain prior express written consent before making telemarketing calls or sending text messages to consumers.
It also mandates certain disclosures and opt-out mechanisms and imposes penalties for violations.
So what you should do now:
- Get permission: Don't be a spammer. Make sure you have explicit consent from customers before sending SMS Marketing messages. You must regularly review and update their policies to align with TCPA regulations. You can try this template for your policy.
- Be upfront: Don't be a liar. Be transparent about what type of messages customers will receive, how often, and how they can opt-out. It's like dating. You wouldn't want to lead someone on or hide your intentions, would you?
- Identify yourself: Don't be a mystery. Every SMS message you send must include the identity of the sender, such as your business name or phone number. It's like introducing yourself to someone. You wouldn't want to have a conversation with someone without knowing who they are, right?
- Don't be robotic: Don't be a robot. Don't use auto-dialing or pre-recorded messages without explicit consent. It's like trying to have a conversation with a robot. No one likes that. So, make sure you're sending personalized messages manually or with the customer's consent.
- Honor opt-outs: Don't be a stalker. If a customer opts out, immediately stop sending messages to them.
To ensure proper consent under TCPA regulations over time, businesses should take more of these steps.
2. Choose an SMS marketing platform
You can not just send every single SMS from your mobile. Like email marketing, you also need a tool that helps you send SMS.
There are several SMS marketing platforms available, such as SMSGem, SMSBump, EZ Texting, and SimpleTexting.
What should you think of when choosing a platform:
- SMS pricing: Sending an email is free (theoretically), but with SMS, you have to pay for each SMS. So let’s take a look at SMS Pricing and see what fits your budget.
- SMS template: With a proven template, you can save lots of time writing your own text or sending tests.
- SMS features: Personalized text or segmentation which helps your text win more.
- SMS analytics: Tracking of SMS and its performance is a must for you to analyze what’s going right and wrong and optimize your campaigns
3. Keep your text SHORT, SWEET, and DIRECT
SHORT: SMS texts have a character limit of 160, so important to keep your messages short and to the point. Avoid using jargon or complicated language, and focus on delivering a clear message that is easy to understand.
SWEET: Remember that we're talking to real people here! So, let's keep it human, shall we? Injecting a little bit of humor is a great way to make your message stand out and create a memorable experience for the recipient.
Whether it's a playful emoji, a funny GIF, or a witty one-liner, adding a touch of humor can help create a more engaging and enjoyable experience for everyone. So, let's keep it fun - after all, who doesn't love a good laugh with their morning coffee?
DIRECT: Keeping it real and personal. No need for fancy marketing jargon or formalities - let's just call their names like we're chatting with a friend! And remember to tell you who you are.
4. Time to send SMS appropriately
Timing is everything when it comes to SMS Marketing. Avoid sending messages outside of business hours or during times when your customers are likely to be busy or distracted. Even to normal users, time is a so sensitive factor that Android helps users schedule messages to send later.
These are some tips for you to set the time perfectly:
- Think about when your target audience is most likely to be available to receive and respond to your message.
- If you have a national or international audience, be mindful of time zones when scheduling your messages.
- The purpose of your message can also influence the best time to send it. For example, if you're sending a promotional offer, it may be best to send it during a time when people are more likely to be making purchasing decisions.
- Test and track: It's important to test different send times and track engagement metrics such as open rates and click-through rates to determine the best time to send SMS messages for your specific audience and purpose.
Overall, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to the best time to send SMS messages. By considering your own target audience and with the help from SMS Marketing Platform to help you track for the best result.
5. Analyze and optimize
Finally, you’d better understand what works and what doesn't with your campaign. When it comes to tracking and analyzing SMS Marketing messages, we know it can feel a little bit like stalking - but trust us, it's for a good cause!
By tracking engagement metrics such as open rates and click-through rates, we can better understand how our audience is interacting with our messages and make data-driven decisions on future campaigns. Plus, it's always satisfying to see those engagement numbers climb higher and higher!
However, you’re sometimes overwhelmed by numbers and charts. So a platform that works hard for you is a need. SMSGem is so user-friendly, even your grandma could use it! So, no need to stress about tracking and analyzing your SMS messages - we've got you covered. Just sit back, relax, and let our SMS app do the heavy lifting.
Well, well, well - we made it to the end! Congratulations, you are officially an SMS Hero! We hope that this beginner's guide has been helpful in demystifying the world of SMS marketing for e-commerce.
And if you ever need a little extra help, just remember - we're here for you, with our user-friendly SMS platform and our trusty detective hats (or magnifying glasses, if that's more your style). So, go forth and conquer the world of SMS marketing, and remember to always keep it human, keep it fun, and keep on texting!